Wednesday, September 10, 2008

#20 Faux Folk


(Click Image To Enlarge)

The obsession with Folk punk is analogous to a Panda a bear. While the music might be punk, it is by no means folk. Just like a panda is a large furry animal, but is by no means a bear. The label itself, in both cases, in simply incorrect; with folk mostly being an acoustic art form and pandas belonging to the raccoon family. If you wanted to combine both incorrect labels, you'd get a punk rock raccoon with a fetish for bamboo... to which, by all intensive purposes, would be absolutely adorable.

Simon and Garfunkel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dau2_Lt8pbM

And since the Simon and Garfunkel video is from a central park performance I thought I might add this video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N86NN0FJM8
It's the best video I could find on youtube for NY Ranger by The Misfits, so enjoy.


2 comments:

Shelly Vandervest said...

What about original Against Me! which basically consisted of Tom Gabel screaming political lyrics over your basic acoustic guitar? It was vocally punk, lyrically qualified as either folk or punk in its activist nautre, and the guitar parts were almost entirely folk, if not slightly accelerated.

Unfortunately this is only example I can think of, aside from Johnny Hobo and the Frieght Trains, which is just a crazy taveling kid who is now preforming under the name Wingnut Dishwasher's Union, as well as a variety of my friend's bands from around the Northwoods...but I digress...

-Hello Shitty.

P.S. is this comment even working? Everytime I click post it just brings me back to this page without telling me anything new and saying "no comments yet."

Michael Bloom said...

Oh no, I can read you loud and clear. Against me is actually one of my favorite bands, and punk and folk share a lot of musical elements as well, this comics really isn't about that though. I wrote this one about bands that try to take on the label of folk with out actually playing folk style music. So AM! and your friends are safe. Don't sweat it. =)