Wednesday, September 3, 2008

#17 Welcome To Wholly World II


(Click Image To Enlarge)

Sorry about the late post guys, but its up and that's what counts. In addition, this comic concludes my first arch. Hurray for me!

We all have music collections, and therefore we all have guilty pleasures. One of mine is Billy Talent. Their self titled album is one of my favorite items to air out like so much dirty laundry to confuse people who think they have my music tastes pretty well pigeon holed and have written me off as belonging to any one category of scenester. Nah, I say to them! Billy Talent is the kind whinny, hipper aggressive, speed guitar, post-hardcore, mess that is easily mocked and lumped in with names like Thrice, Thursday, and Poison The Well, to define the limits to which the kids will go to disappoint their elders with their horrible tastes in music, and I love them for it! But that's becuase there's something very different about Billy on their self titled depute that separates them from the previously mentioned ranks of screamo purgatory. While relying heavily on call-response, sing-scream vocals, the contrivances generated by this singing strategy are counter balanced by guitar riffs which utilize a classic chord switch technique and beats that are as simple and straightforwardly aggressive as anything you'll find elsewhere. The lyrics in addition, are well crafted, passionate, and inwardly focused, but never to the point of interfering with the rock they accompany. In other wards, the group never chooses prose over power. What I like about Billy Talent on their debut album is that the band demonstrates themselves to be straight shooters in a world where the art of honest, passionate, punk'rock 'n roll is a rarity at best. While on the surface they may appear to be another band in a long line of tight pantsed wanna bes, bellow the tides of lopsided haircuts and vans, dwells the the hungry spirit of an angsty leviathan I could only wish more bands would learn to embrace as their own.

And thus ends an other chapter in what I'm listening to while I update my blog and decide to, unprovoked mind you, defend and recommend. Have a good one!

The Misfits, original 70's lineup with Danzig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKWIrG-HegE (Live performance of 20 Eyes); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a-4WInmYlg (Live performance of Skulls)

The Misfits, '95 reunion with Michael Graves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2-ysJORoHY (Live performance of American Psycho)

Discharge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WgrGRawcQ

No comments: